Saturday 15 June 2013

DotA2 A to Z Challange

Quoting a Reddit.com/r/DotA2 thread;
Hey guys,
With the International coming up, I thought I'd come up with a way to get revved up and get more engrossed into the world of Dota2. Since, I always seem to keep playing the same heroes, I thought I should at least try each hero once. This led to me thinking, why not win with every hero once?
So I present to you, the A to Z challenge. Starting from Alchemist and ending with Zeus, you have to win with every hero once. After a win, you switch to the next hero. Use the default hero picker, it should give you the order you need to pick in. Some basic rules/suggestions:
  • Early Abandonments don't count. Exception is either if your team is winning and its almost late game, and a guys decides to give up. Or if it is early game, you have to be the one that is pwning the guys who rage quits.
  • Tag yourself as [AtoZ] yourName just to let everyone know that you are on a quest :D
  • Don't random
  • Limit your matchmaking to All pick.
  • Don't have side games with other heroes. That way your stats[1] page should show your progression nicely.
  • I have taken to changing my name to my Hero's name; so for my NS game I was [AtoZ] Balanar, for Invoker I was [AtoZ] Karl, for AM I was [AtoZ] Mangina etc.
  • from comments - If your hero gets picked already, ask for a swap. If teammate refuses, just pick the next hero in line. Then go back to the hero the next game.

Tell me what you guys think. Since there are no new heroes coming out until the end of the International, now should be the best time to try this out, as you won't be tempted to go for the flavor of the week hero. For newer players this should be a nice learning experience, while for more experienced players it should keep the game interesting and provide a challenge that needs to be completed.
Notes: I'm gonna do a follow up thread in 15 days to see if anyone was able to complete it. We could use Dota 2 Stats[2] to verify our accomplishments It could lead to interesting discussions about which heroes were the hardest to win with and how that speaks for what kind of player you are (do you suck as a carry? can you not gank?) I'm gonna contact Valve about maybe adding a badge for people who complete this challenge, or maybe just a badge for people who play every hero, even if it is out of order.
Reddit Thread


I saw this thread when it was first posted, and it did intregue me at the time. The reason I didn't take up the challange when I first read about it was mostly because I used to enjoy playing with friends. When playing with my friends, we would try to pick heroes that complement one another. However, I have recently been playing in solo queue and enjoying the game a lot more as a result.

I have started playing all the game modes apart from 'All Pick'. So I queue for 'All Random', 'Single Draft', 'Least Played', 'Random Draft' and 'Captains Mode'. The result of this forced me to choose heroes I may not necessarily play with my friends. It works, and can be quite a lot of fun. Since playing these different modes and being exposed to more heroes, I have generally improved as a player. That is what made me want to try the 'A to Z' challange.

I've created a new steam account, put on the [AtoZ] tag, grabbed an A to Z avatar and gifted myself a DotA2 key. I'm good to go!

I do think that before I move on to the next hero, I will most likely practice it in 'Co-Op vs AI' games. This way I will be used to the skill set and have an idea of the standard item progressions to aim for. This has the double benefit of not hurting my team with my own lack of knowledge of a specific hero. So before I start this challange, I'm going to run a few 'Co-Op vs AI' games as Alchemist to get to grips with the hero.

So let's see how this goes!
[AtoZ]Saldejums' DOTABuff page.

No comments:

Post a Comment