Friday 31 May 2013

Learning to Play Sakura - Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition v 2012

Sakura is a character I've always enjoyed watching. At first she appears to be a Shotokan character akin to Ken or Ryu, but look further and you notice how her style of play differs completely from that of other Shoto characters.


The reason for this is due to her fireball being charge able, her shouken not being a true anti-air and her tatsumaki possessing the property of linking into a combo and launching the opponent into to the air with an EX.


I mentioned in my previous post that I'm attending EVO2k13. Well I have decided to change characters from Dhalsim to Sakura. After telling a friend, he asked me why. I've actually wanted to play her since 2009 where I saw her being used in a 5v5 exhibition match where SabrE(Sakura) played against Alex Valle(Ryu). UStream Link 1 - YouTube Link 2


I saw the game live on stream, it was the first time I saw a Sakura, and SabrE's team was the underdog. It was an awesome match to watch, and I always to pick her up since watching that match. The reason I didn't try sooner was because my execution is really poor, and playing a good Sakura requires you to know a lot of combos and mix-ups as well as being fantastic at spacing and footsies.


As I've now officially entered SSF4AE2012 at EVO2l13, I figured that I have to practice a character, so I may as well practice one that I've wanted to play for a while. In addition to all of that, Sakura's theme music is pretty awesome.


So, with less then a month to go before I fly out to America, it's time to practice!


No comments:

Post a Comment